Why study the Natural Sciences?
Through the natural sciences, we investigate and understand ourselves, our world, and the universe. We also come to understand our place as individuals and as a species. Discoveries in the natural sciences, often emerging from basic research, transform society as they address everything from disease to global warming. Research plays a critical role in the division, with more than 400 natural sciences students participating in the University’s annual Undergraduate Research Symposium. Natural sciences researchers generate more than $90 million in research grants annually.
A Sucker for Octopuses
What do Natural Sciences students do after graduating?
The natural sciences prepare the next generation of strategic and inquisitive thinkers. Alumni pursue a broad range of careers — from health care to conservation to education to finance.
In psychology, the universe of possibilities is endless. I wanted to pursue a psychology degree to go into the field of behavioral economics, analyzing consumer trends and investment.
Alumni Career Paths
- Research technician
- Clinical program director
- Portfolio analyst
- Mental health counselor
- Nonprofit director
- Nurse practitioner
- Physical therapist
- Environmental analyst
Natural Sciences programs
Whatever your interest, there’s a program in the Natural Sciences Division for you.
Department of Astronomy
- B.S., Astronomy
- M.S., Astronomy
- Ph.D., Astronomy
Department of Applied Mathematics
- B.S., Applied Mathematics
- B.S., Computational Finance and Risk Management
- M.S., Applied and Computational Mathematics
- M.S., Applied Mathematics
- M.S., Computational Finance and Risk Management
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics: Advanced Data Science
Department of Statistics
- B.S., Statistics
- B.S., Statistics: Data Science
- M.S., Statistics: Advanced Methods and Data Analysis
- Ph.D., Statistics
- Ph.D., Statistics: Machine Learning and Big Data
- Ph.D., Statistics: Statistical Genetics
- Ph.D., Statistics: Statistics in the Social Sciences
Department of Speech & Hearing Sciences
- B.S., Speech and Hearing Sciences
- M.S., Core Speech-Language Pathology
- M.S., Educational Speech-Language Pathology
- M.S., Medical Speech-Language Pathology
- Ph.D., Speech and Hearing Sciences
Department of Psychology
- B.A., Psychology
- B.S., Psychology
- M.A., Applied Child & Adolescent Psychology: Prevention & Treatment
- Ph.D., Psychology
- Ph.D., Psychology: Advanced Data Science Option
- Ph.D., Psychology: Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D., Psychology: Data Science Option
Department of Physics
- B.S., Physics
- M.S., Physics
- Ph.D., Physics
Department of Chemistry
- B.A., Biochemistry
- B.A., Chemistry
- B.S., Biochemistry
- B.S., Chemistry
- B.S., Chemistry: ACS Certified
- M.S., Applied Chemical Science and Technology
- Ph.D., Chemistry
Department of Biology
- B.A., Biology
- B.S., Biology: Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation
- B.S., Biology: General
- B.S., Biology: Molecular, Cellular, and Develpmental
- B.S., Biology: Physiology
- B.S., Biology: Plant Biology
- M.S., Biology
- Ph.D., Biology
Department of Mathematics
- B.A., Mathematics
- B.A., Mathematics: Philosophy
- B.A., Mathematics: Teacher Preparation
- B.S., Mathematics
- M.A., Mathematics
- M.S., Mathematics
- Ph.D., Mathematics
- Ph.D., Mathematics: Advanced Data Science
Dive into some of the exciting courses offered in the Natural Sciences. Faculty often develop classes that cross disciplines and apply a scientific lens to significant societal questions.
Learn about the planets in our solar system, with emphasis on recent space exploration and on the comparative evolution of the Earth and the other planets.
Explore the biological, psychological, and socio-cultural determinants of human sexuality and sexual behavior, and how their interaction leads to diverse expressions of sexuality.
Ready to dive into the Natural Sciences?
Take classes that will challenge and inspire you and conduct research alongside faculty who are experts in their fields.