Study the political, historical and cultural contexts that shape global challenges such as inequality, climate change, security and human rights.
- M.A., Applied International Studies
- M.A., China Studies
- M.A., Comparative Religion
- M.A., International Studies
- M.A., Japan Studies
- M.A., Korea Studies
- M.A., Middle East Studies
- M.A., Russian, East European & Central Asian Studies
- M.A., South Asia Studies
- M.A., Southeast Asian Studies
- Ph.D., International Studies
Although not all Jackson School alumni pursue international careers, many have a global aspect to their jobs in the public, private and nongovernmental sectors. With extensive analytical training and regional expertise, alumni have gone on to careers in city, state, federal, and foreign governments; and in the business, finance, consulting, technology, communications and law industries. They also work for nonprofits, think tanks and major universities.
The School’s Office of Career Services connects international studies students to internships, an alumni-student mentor program and job opportunities throughout the year.
Some of the many employers who hire School of International Studies students include:
- CAIR Washington
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- U.S. Department of State
- University of Auckland in New Zealand
Dive into international research
The Jackson School offers leading-edge research in global and area studies. The department’s prominent faculty represent a range of fields, including anthropology; economics; geography; history; political science; religion; sociology; and gender, women & sexuality studies.
Some notable research projects include:
- The effects of free-trade agreements on human rights
- Public health and environmental security
- Nuclear non-proliferation in Asia
- Civil society in Asia, Latin America and Europe
- Defense industrialization in China
- The relationship between religion and violence
- U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East
- History of U.S. foreign policy
- The Mexican Revolution
- Political economy of India
- Post-Soviet politics
- Politics of indigenous communities
Find Yourself in the Jackson School
Expand your world through international and area studies.
The Jackson School of International Studies Stories
Students in the Jackson School of International Studies delve into cybersecurity policy and its societal implications.
Research from the UW Center for Human Rights has confirmed disturbing human rights violations at the Northwest Detention Center.