You are here
How Many Grands?
An Arts & Sciences Quiz
Maybe you’re an alumnus of Arts and Sciences. Or you visit campus frequently for concerts and exhibits. Or you send in an annual gift because you understand the value of a liberal arts education. Maybe you are all of the above. But how much do you really know about the College? Here’s a chance to test your A&S acumen. Answers are provided at the bottom of the page.
1. During the 1999-2000 academic year, the College offered how many courses?
a) more than 1,500
b) more than 3,600
c) nearly 6,000
2. How many of the 118 faculty who have received UW Distinguished Teaching Awards since 1970 have been Arts and Sciences faculty?
a) 30 (one each year)
b) 40 (one-third of all recipients)
c) 58 (nearly half of all recipients)
3. The percent of the College of Arts and Sciences’ budget covered by the State of Washington is:
4. How many grand pianos does the School of Music own?
5. Denny Hall, the University’s oldest building, was completed in:
6. Hans Dehmelt, professor of physics, received the Nobel Prize in Physics for what discovery?
a) measuring fundamental properties of the electron by isolating and trapping a single electron
b) measuring the mass of the proton
c) measuring the strength of gravity
7. The College offers more than 50 languages. Which of the following is not offered?
g) Old Icelandic
m) All of the above are offered
8. Which of the following Arts and Sciences alumni served as editor of The Daily, the UW’s student newspaper?
a) David Horsey, Pulitzer-winning editorial cartoonist for the Seattle Post-Intelligencer
b) John Keister, host of television’s The John Report With Bob and Almost Live
c) Charles Cross, founding editor of Seattle’s alternative music paper, The Rocket
d) All of the above
9. What percentage of UW freshmen were in the top 10 percent of their high school class?
10. Which of the following professors appeared on television with David Letterman?
a) Ingrith Deyrup-Olsen, zoology professor who studies slugs
b) Pepper Schwartz, sociology professor who studies human sexuality
c) Woodruff Sullivan, astronomy professor who studies the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe
d) All of the above
Answers to A&S quiz:
1) b: More than 3,600 courses
2) c : Nearly half (49%) of all recipients have been Arts and Sciences faculty.
3) b: 46%. The remainder comes from a combination of gifts and grants.
4) b: 43. The School has an additional 10 grand pianos on one-year loan.
5) b: 1895. In 1861, the territorial University of Washington opened downtown. The Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition in 1909 resulted in more building on the UW campus.
7) c: Dutch. All the other languages are offered, although not necessarily every quarter.
9) b: 47%. (80% were in the top quarter of their high school class.)
10) a: Ingrith Deyrup-Olsen (although Pepper Schwartz has been on Oprah)