Filter
  • Saving Earth from killer asteroids

    Only about 40% of an estimated 25,000 near-Earth asteroids with the potential to destroy the planet have been detected. Scientist Dr. Ed Lu, along with his nonprofit B612 are working to create a way to detect the other 60%. Joachim Moeyens, a graduate student in astronomy at the UW, is mentioned.

    Discovery
  • Ana Fernández Dobao

    Research Feature: Ana Fernández Dobao

    Ana Fernández Dobao, associate professor in the department of Spanish & Portuguese studies and the director of the Spanish language program, explains her research in language acquisition.

    The Daily
  • Raising an emotionally intelligent child, ages 6 to 12

    If your child has a high emotional IQ, they'll be better able to cope with his feelings, calm themselves down, and understand and relate well to adults and other kids, according to John Gottman, professor emeritus of psychology at the UW.

    HealthDay
  • Ava Kloss-Schmidt working in the UW Biology Greenhouse.

    A Passion Takes Root

    During her time at the UW, Ava Kloss-Schmidt (BS, Biology, 2022) has surrounded herself with plants — in a lab, in a greenhouse, and on mountaintops.

    June 2022 Perspectives
  • Will Sanchez sitting on a bench on the UW campus.

    Networking for Change

    Will Sanchez (BA, Comparative History of Ideas, 2022) has developed connections to build on — with leaders in nonprofit, tech, and political circles.

    June 2022 Perspectives
  • Darby Sherwood stands by a window in UW's Hutchinson Hall.

    A Fresh Voice in Theater

    Despite the pandemic, Darby Sherwood (BA, Drama; Political Science minor, 2022) graduated with a robust resume that includes directing, acting, and playwriting experience.

    June 2022 Perspectives
  • Stephanie Masterman in front of the Burke Museum, holding a cedar oar that she carved.

    A Tlingit Leader in the Making

    Her exploration at the UW has led Stephanie Masterman (BA, American Indian Studies; Arctic Studies minor; 2022) to leadership roles in her tribal community.

    June 2022 Perspectives
  • COVID death tolls: Scientists acknowledge errors in WHO estimates

    COVID death tolls: Scientists acknowledge errors in WHO estimates

    Researchers with the World Health Organization explain mistakes in high-profile mortality estimates for Germany and Sweden. The UW's Jon Wakefield, professor of statistics and of biostatistics, and Victoria Knutson, a doctoral student in biostatistics, are quoted.

    Nature
  • COVID death tolls: scientists acknowledge errors in WHO estimates

    Researchers with the World Health Organization explain mistakes in high-profile mortality estimates for Germany and Sweden. The UW's Jon Wakefield, professor of statistics and of biostatistics, and Victoria Knutson, a doctoral student in biostatistics, are quotes.

    Nature
  • UW report finds claims of sexual abuse at the NW Detention Center are not being investigated

    here are more disturbing stories out of the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma, run by the private security company The GEO Group, about detainees’ complaints of sexual harassment and sexual assault. Immigration detainees are supposed to be protected while in custody, but a new report suggests the system is not adequately keeping detainees safe, or capturing the true scope of alleged abuses. Angelina Godoy, professor of law, societies and justice and of international studies and director of the Center for Human Rights at the UW, is interviewed.

    KUOW